Wednesday, February 28, 2007

First, you limp to the left like your leg was broken...

I love my mp3 player. I call it my dPod. (Like an iPod, but the Dell equivalent.) On it, I have loads and loads of music of all sorts. One minute I’ll be listening to “Recitar” from Pagliacci and then the next minute will bring “When Worlds Collide” by Powerman 5000. I love the variety that is available with the mp3 player.

However, the other day I discovered a major disadvantage to listening to my mp3 player or a cd in my car versus listening to the radio. I was coming back from lunch and had left my mp3 player at work, so I was “stuck” with the radio. Lo and behold, Digital Underground’s “Humpty Dance” comes on the station to which I am listening. Unable to resist it’s rhythmic awesomeness, I start waving my head from side to side and doing my best “car dance.” (You know how the “car dance” works…it’s all in the shoulders.) As I approached a stoplight, I looked over at the car in the next lane and was shocked, amazed, and impressed to see some other dude who, obviously, was listening to the same station as he was doing his own version of the “car dance.” There was that awkward moment when we both realized what each other was doing, but then the rhythm took over and more fun was had by all.

So it’s possible that the mp3 player and cd player are working in unison to kill off the simultaneous multi-car dance. Which is just a cryin’ shame, if you ask me…

More interesting, however, is how people act while in their cars. Admit it…when you’re in your car, you feel alone and secure. When a song comes on that you adore, you belt it out from the top of your lungs as if no one else in the world knows what you are doing. You are full of confidence because you think no one else is around you in earshot. The second someone catches you, though, you shy away from the music and look straight ahead, trying to avoid eye contact at all costs.

Why is this? Are we just that insecure? If we just “thought” that nobody was around would we be free to act out the way we really feel?

Today, be the “alone-in-the-car” version of yourself. Belt out a song. Dance a dance. I think you’ll find that you like it.

Just don’t get into an accident*.

Much luv,
Rob

*Rob’s Random Musings is not responsible for any damage caused by following any advice provided.
_____________________________________
Song of the Day: “The Nile’s Edge” by VAST

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps another inherited trait?