Thursday, February 15, 2007

It’s no Street Fighter…

First, I’d like to thank the mystery person who sent a very encouraging card to my roommates and me. Your words were very kind and much appreciated. (Very nice handwriting, too.) So if you’re reading this, thanks!

Now…

Killer instinct. No, I’m not talking about the old Super Nintendo game that pitted two foes against each other in a fight to drain each other’s life bar. If you were me playing that game, it pretty much consisted of running your fighter towards the other fighter and then mashing the buttons as fast as you could possibly could while taunting your opponent.

Good times…

Tonight I played in a “league” basketball game. Now, when I play basketball, I usually am just in it to have some fun and typically am not even aware of the current score. I typically get distracted talking to people and on occasion even daydream. (Sometimes causing an ear-to-ear grin before draining an unnecessary deuce for the game, causing much misinterpretation and leading to a whole lot of grief directed my way…) My point is, for the first time ever playing basketball, I ran into someone much like myself on the court tonight. The guy I was tasked with guarding from the other team had a very similar attitude toward the game. Early on, we got tied up going for a rebound and both ended up falling down. I was pretty sure that I fouled the guy, but no whistle was blown by the referee, who I’m pretty certain was busy thinking about the fact that he was missing tonight’s episode of Lost (another great one, btw). I helped the guy get back up and said something like, “Sorry, dude. Pretty sure I got you on that one.” “No problem, would be nice if someone else on my team was around for that rebound, though.” We began to jaw at each other for the rest of the game, and I realized that at no point did I see this guy as “the enemy.” He was as passive as myself.

Seeing it in someone else, though, it became clear that passivity just doesn’t get it done in basketball. At one point, one of my teammates said, “You have GOT to get more aggressive out there.” I just don’t have it in me, though.

So where is it? Where’s my killer instinct? Is it gone for good? How can I track it down? Should I bother? Did one of you take it? Can I have it back?

Ultimately, I guess I’m just not that competitive on the basketball court. If you break out the old SNES, though, you’re in for a world of hurt, darlin’.

Bring it.

Much luv,
Rob
_____________________________________
Song of the Day: “Snow (Hey Oh)” by Red Hot Chili Peppers (seems fitting)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

per the song of the day, i definately think the peppers deserve any and all awards for their recent album. I can't believe I am posting this on your board but I am actually listening to it more than BSSM now. That may be due to its music being better...but most likely its due to the fact that I can listen to it at work without problems. Besides snow, turn it again is definatley up there in my list.

oh, and killer instinct friggin rocked! too bad rare isn't making any games anymore. maybe they will be among the millions of ports to come to the wii.

Anonymous said...

Killer Instinct was awesome. Spinal 4 Life!!!!