Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Personally, I think that the T-800 and T-X would make a cute couple…

The word “irony” comes to mind as I sit down and begin to write what I think will be something about Valentine’s Day. You see, it’s half time of the Bulls game (they’re down by 5 right now) and I flipped the channel to find Terminator 3 playing on AMC.

Nothing inspires you to write about Valentine’s Day like a pair of nigh-indestructible cyborgs shooting each other and smashing up a bathroom while the fate of the world hangs in the balance. (In a word: Awesome.)

But about Valentine’s Day…what does a single guy have to say about this holiday? Well, I did a little bit of digging to learn more about it. It turns out that the holiday is named after Saint Valentine, which actually refers to some martyred saints of ancient Rome. Originally, February 14th was celebrated with a great feast and it wasn’t until about the fourteenth century that the holiday was associated with romance due to some creative historical liberties taken by Geoffrey Chaucer. Now the holiday is exclusively thought of in a romantic manner.

Amazing what someone can do just by writing something. They can actually change the way history is remembered. (Hmmm…)

For me, I can’t say that I’ve given a whole lot of thought about Valentine’s Day. Tomorrow will be just another day for me. One in which I’ll probably have to shovel more snow and drive in nasty traffic. For many others, though, it’s a day to spend some extra time with that special someone you really care about and show them just how much they mean to you.

So that’s it from me regarding Valentine’s Day. No snarky comments. It’s just a little history lesson.

I’ll look forward to the Korean holiday, Black Day. It takes place on April 14th and is a day set aside for males who did not receive anything for Valentine’s Day in which they gather together to eat Jajangmyun. (Chinese noodles in black sauce.)

I think in the Chicago area we can substitute an Italian beef.

Yum.

Happy Valentine’s Day, everyone!

Much luv,
Rob
_____________________________________
Song of the Day: “Who Did You Think I Was” by John Mayer Trio

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I ate italian beef for dinner tonight. mmm... Papa Charlie's.

As to V-Day, I am looking forward tommorow as a single person. I think I will buy myself a present, as tommorow will mark the first Feb 14th of the rest of my life, wherein no one will have the power or opportunity to disappoint me.