Wednesday, February 7, 2007

#29

Sometimes I wonder to myself, “Rob, how do you expect to find something to write about frequently?” Some days it is pretty difficult to find something interesting. Some days I’m just not sure I’m going to find anything at all.

And then there’s days like today…

Have you heard the recent story of Lisa Nowak? She’s an astronaut with NASA. She recently found her way into the news for doing something rather special. Remember how I said that Dictionary.com had 28 definitions for “love?” Well, this story has GOT to merit definition number 29.

Lisa Nowack became obsessed with a fellow astronaut and “was accused of hatching an extraordinary plot to kidnap the woman she believed was her rival” for the affections of this other astronaut. So she hopped in her car to drive approximately 900 miles to accomplish this task. Naturally, she donned some adult diapers so that she could avoid making any unnecessary bathroom stops. She brought with her some pepper spray, a knife, a BB gun (possibly an official Red Ryder carbine action two hundred shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time), a new steel mallet, and some rubber tubing.

All this comes from a NASA astronaut.

Now, I’m no rocket scientist, but I’m fairly certain that this lady, who as recently as July was on board the shuttle “Discovery,” should not be one either. Aren’t astronauts subject to some pretty stiff screening procedures? How did little Lisa get through?

When children are young (as most of them are) and asked, “What do you want to be when you grow up,” there are a few answers that pop up more frequently than others. Some might say that they want to be a fireman, superstar athlete, or a movie star. Others probably said that they’d want to be an astronaut.

Just makes me a little nervous now…that’s all.

And to give a little help to Dictionary.com, I’ll go ahead and offer definition #29:

love (luv) n. – the state of mind in which one will do absolutely insane acts to attract the attention of another…who probably is frightened at the sight of you in diapers wielding a knife and some rubber tubing.

Much luv (not the #29 kind),
Rob

_____________________________________
Song of the Day: “19th Nervous Breakdown” by Rolling Stones
(I threw a link in there for you, F3)

7 comments:

Pooji said...

Rob, I don't know what to say to that story. I'm just posting to keep my streak of "first comment on Rob's new blog" going.

"Love stinks." - J. Geils Band

I don't know what I'm doing here said...

Crooked cops, crooked firemen, crooked politicians, crooked community office leaders, what's a crooked astronaut or two? If they can all pass the screening and put on a convincing show, it makes you wonder about your neighbors! Diapers, I don't know what to say about that. They also found plastic garbage bags, I kind of wonder if she was ready to kill for the lover she couldn't have. I think I'll stay away from those dating web sites.

I don't know what I'm doing here said...

I'm going to have 19th Nervous Breakdown stuck in my head all day now! Thank YOU!

Rob said...

Re: malissalinn

We here at Rob's Random Musings cannot be held responsible for any songs being stuck in your head.

That being said, just be glad the song of the day was not "Macarena" by Los del Rio.

Uh oh...sorry.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link. Now that I think about it, most of our music tastes are similar and it will be a while before there is a song you mention that I don't have. Okay, now that I said that you are going deep track searching tomorrow aren't you...

F3

Anonymous said...

I've heard alot of questioning of this screening process, but I'm guessing she went through that process some years ago. Perhaps before the teenage son & the 5 yr. old twins. Maybe even before the husband of 19 years (they split up 2 weeks ago). How long does it take to go nuts? How frequently should they be screened? I'm guessing if their revamp is based on this situation (or on any of my own) the answer would be "every half hour"

Anonymous said...

I think I would apply my favorite clinical diagnostic assessment to this case - she is half a bubble off center. Also remember "every lid has its pot."