Tuesday, February 6, 2007

BLOGGIN' 2: Electric Boogaloo

So it’s been 412 days since I last wrote something for the good ol’ Rob’s Ridiculous Rants blog. (May it rest in peace.) Ok, I don’t really know exactly how many days it has been, but it sounded like a good number. Since that blogsite decided to start charging to maintain the posts, I let it die down and over 100 articles are gone forever. (So sad, but I’m writing in Word and saving this time around.) Lately, there have been occasions when I felt the urge to take up the pen/keyboard and start writing again.

However, I needed something to inspire me. I needed something that would really get my creative juices flowing. I needed something that would make this feel more like fun and less like work. It just so happens that I’ve found it…the ultimate muse:

Love.

Dictionary.com has 28 definitions for the word “love.”

I am talking about that most sacred kind of love. A love that lasts through good and bad, through thick and thin, through the heights of miracle comebacks against the Cardinals and the lowly defeats to the Packers. I’m talking about a love for my Super Bowl runner’s up…

Da Bears.

(Where did you think I was going with this?)

It’s been an interesting two days since Devin Hester wowed us (and shut my mouth up) with his opening kick return for a touchdown. Since then, there has been a party in Indianapolis, permission has been given to Ron Rivera to interview with the Cowboys, and approximately three million articles have been written bashing Rex Grossman.

Have we become spoiled? The city of Chicago isn’t used to this. When we make it to the title games, we win, right? That’s just how we roll. (Unless, of course, you’re a hockey fan and remember the Blackhawks getting swept by the Penguins.) We have always won the big games.

Until now.

So what do we do? How do we cope? Some people are incessantly optimistic and cry out, “Wait ‘til next year!” (Cubs fans, I’m looking in your direction.) Others say, “The team is just too young and inexperienced.” (Bulls fans, that’d be you.) Still others might say, “We were just one big player away.” (South-Side Sox fans.) Hockey fans are saying, “….” (I don’t know what hockey fans say, eh.)

Me? I’ve decided to pick up writing again, and here we have it. Hopefully something here made you smile. It may be a purely joyful smile. It may be a laughing smile. It may be a “Geez, Rob’s an idiot smile.” Or maybe you didn’t smile, in which case the terrorists have, indeed, already won.

But thank you. By reading this, you’re enabling me to cope, whether you like it or not.

Nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah.

Sounds like a win to me.

Much luv,
Rob

____________________________________________
Song of the Day: “Anywhere” by Evanescence

9 comments:

Pooji said...

I don't follow sports much, but I seem to remember in the 1980s, a quarterback leading his team to the Superbowl and losing. It was the first time a team was ahead by 10 points and lost a Superbowl. They lost, even though they set a record set for fastest touchdown in Superbowl history (less than two minutes into the game).

Now, the Bears weren't up by ten in this year's game. But they did start off the game in stunning fashion, setting a record for fastest touchdown scored in Superbowl history.

So, despite all the hype, John Elway was a loser. Twice in a row, in fact. And a third time a few years later.

Rex Grossman sucked during this year's Superbowl. Sometimes, it takes ten years for the QB to get it right.

For the sakes of all my friends in Chicagoland, I hope Rex is the next John Elway.

And not the next Dan Marino. (That was supposed to be Peyton Manning, but the little turd won. Oh well, you can't have everything.)

buzz said...

Write, Rob! Write! Write like a young boy in a field!

Unknown said...

Always next year, eh? who would even SAY that? oh, hey guys... its only a week till spring training for the cubs!!! crap, you're right...

Rob, I expect a check in the mail every so often to make up for the slight loss in revenue from my company now that I will be AGAIN spending my time reading your blog and trying to find all the songs you mention. Perhaps you can simply link each song of the day to a free mp3 download :-)

F3

Unknown said...

I will be reading this during my breaks in between naps... Which would be the classes I am registered for... I think that cheese cant have holes in it thus Swiss cheese... isnt a cheese... write away Robbie...

Unknown said...

for the record, last night there was a game between the Chicago Bears and the Indianapolis colts, in the rain at Dolphin Stadium and the Bears won 62 to 20. Manning only had 1 TD and 2 interceptions and 3 sacks. Grossman was 26 for 34 with a couple TDs and no INT with Jones rushing for 5 touchdowns. Granted, this was all in my basement on Madden 07 for the Wii, but it had to be done.

JennW7773 said...

You rock, you absolutely rock. Thanks so much for letting me know about your blog! I hope (as a Cubs fan) that you find the healing you seek.

~Habakkuk 3:19

Reid San Filippo said...

I feel used. :)

[gauntlet]
Red Warrior is about to blog.
[/gauntlet]

Anonymous said...

I was down on Grossman from the time they drafted him, and did not change through this season! I promise, he is no Elway!

Thanks for the LOVE topic little bro'. Will I get an e-mail after every post? Are you gonna do a song of the day? I can help you w/ that!

Anonymous said...

Love . . . exciting and new
Come aboard . . . we're expecting you . . .

I love the Bears. I love their rich history. I love Payton, Singletary, McMahon. I loved Super Bowl XX. The Super Bowl shuffle was dorky, but I still loved it.

I didn't love Super Bowl XLI so much, but I love the fact that the Bears made it that far. I love Urlacher, Jones, Hester -- and how can you not love a coach named Lovie? Grossman probably is just looking for love in all the wrong places -- like opposing cornerbacks.

I love this blog. Thanks, Rob