Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Touché, magic hallway…

Sometimes, I hate my brain. I remember some of the most absolutely insane things. For example, I heard “More Than A Woman” by The Bee Gees this afternoon and my thoughts immediately turned to the movie Short Circuit because Johnny #5 sang it to the girl in that movie for less than one minute. That was back in 1986. 21 years ago…yet my brain managed to make the connection in about two seconds.

How does that happen? Ask me what I had for dinner last night and I’ll just stare blankly, but I remember what song a stupid robot sang in a movie oh-so-long ago. I wonder how much room there really is inside my brain, and how much of it is wasted with trivial facts about old movies and music. How much more important could the retained things in my head be if there weren’t so much junk in there?

Sometimes all of these random memories make me feel a little like my good buddy J.D. from Scrubs. Someone will be talking to me and say something that triggers some memory, and I’ll look up and to the left (why always up and to the left?) as some bizarre scene plays out in my head. Moments later, I snap back into reality and the person talking to me gives me a look that says, “O….K…?”

I just can’t help it. That’s the way I’m wired up and there’s nothing I can do about it now.

So what to do about it? I figure that someday it will pay off on some game show when I remember that the scientist trying to recover the missing Johnny #5 was named Benjamin or can name that tune in just three notes.

Until then, I’ll just remain distracted. (Don’t take it personally.)

Much luv,
Rob
_____________________________________
Song of the Day: “Hold on Hope” by Guided By Voices

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps an inherited trait?