Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Oh, be careful little mouth what you say...

Obvious: (adj.) easily seen, recognized, or understood; open to view or knowledge; evident.

So I took a little flak this weekend for using this little word “obviously.” It was in church on Sunday when a few of us were discussing some stuff upon which we did not all agree. So when I stated my case and said, “Well, obviously….” Others took some offense to it.

What’s the big deal? So perhaps I didn’t have all my facts straight and may have been a little bit wrong. Yet throwing out that simple, little adverb changed my idea from a simple point of view into a pompous, arrogant one.

I realized my error pretty quickly, which (naturally) led me to start throwing the word around with even less care. I was declaring that everything was “obviously” correct as the way I see it just to stick it to those who were part of the discussion.

There was a lesson to be learned, for sure. Be careful what you say. The bible says in Matthew chapter 12 that “out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.”

Yikes.

Obviously, I need to work on that.

Much luv,
Rob
_____________________________________
Song of the Day: “Leave You Far Behind” by Lunatic Calm

3 comments:

McArchie said...

I don't feel so bad anymore, knowing that even at 29 you are still struggling with word stuff. I sometimes felt like I was alone with saying "obviously" so flippantly, but I'm glad I have company.

Anonymous said...

obviously its clear that you obviously have some pride issues to deal with because it should be obvious that everything you say isn't always obvious. i am so sick of this word now. obviously.

F3

Rob said...

Re: Everyone

Absolutely.