Monday, March 12, 2007

Insanity runs in my family; It practically gallops...

Let’s take a minute to give it up for farmers. I believe it is their fault that we suffer through this daylight savings time nonsense. They don’t want to get up at 4:30 in the morning, so we tell them that it is 5:30 and it’s ok all of a sudden. On behalf of all of you who had to get up earlier than normal today I’d just like to say, “We want our hour back!”

And as an amusing little story for anyone who’s ever seen O, Brother, Where Art Thou? I had another “Rob’s brain runs off” moment. I went in for a haircut yesterday at Sportclips (and all they had on was women’s basketball…so disappointing) and fully entrusted the stylist, Donna, to do whatever she thought would look good with my hair. She gave me a cut and then began to style it, recommending that I use pomade on it instead of gel, mousse, or hairspray. I was instantly transported in my mind to a Walworth’s where I began to think, “I don’t want Fop, dangit! I’m a Dapper Dan man!” If you don’t know what that means, stop what you are doing and go watch O, Brother, Where Art Thou? You will not be sorry.

Ok…tangents aside…

This weekend marked a big event in my life. It marked a dynamic change in a relationship for me and someone special to me. It was a time in which I said those three little words that are so hard to say to someone so close to you. The words were tough to come by, but I managed to sputter them out:

“You were right.”

(Sorry, folks, it wasn’t those “other” three words.)

Let me just say that if you have the chance to see the classic movie, Arsenic and Old Lace, take it. Very, very funny movie. Sorry, Dad, that I didn’t listen to your recommendation for all those years. I’ll say it again…you were right. (See, now you’ve got it saved on your voice mail AND on the internet. Consider it an early birthday present…)

It got me to thinking a little bit about something we discussed in the 20-Somethings class (or as I like to call it, The Leftovers) at my church. We were discussing the idea of how to determine what kind of people do we listen to and learn from in our lives. We agreed that as a “younger” group we have a tendency to ignore those who are older than us when they try to give us advice. We say things like, “Things have changed,” or, “You don’t know what I’m going through.” We have a tendency to prefer to hear advice from our peers.

The truth of the matter is that we should listen to our elders. They have been there before us and generally want what is best for us. I know this now.

And all it took for me to finally get this was watching this old movie after a friend recommended it to me. Who knew?

Much luv,
Rob
_____________________________________
Song of the Day: “Land of Shame” by VAST

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure whether insanity runs in your family - certainly from a relative perspective (no pun intended), I win hands down. But I think I CAN say that good taste in movies runs in your family. Your dad's got alot more good ones where that came from. And you're no slouch yourself in knowing a classic when you see it. Maybe share back w/ your dad. Has he seen Strange Brew?

:)