Friday, March 9, 2007

I think that my feelings would be best explained in a monologue...

Ok, folks, buckle up. Today’s blog is about to get heavy.

But first, something embarrassing that I have to get off of my chest. The other day while flipping through channels, I came across Superstar, the movie. The movie is based off of the Saturday Night Live sketch that stars Molly Shannon as Mary Catherine Gallagher, a nervous catholic schoolgirl who, when she gets nervous, sticks her hands under her armpits and smells them like this. (You all know what I’m talking about, right? Please say you do.) Anyway, Will Ferrell is in the movie too, and that’s my excuse for why I didn’t immediately change the channel.

Don’t judge me.

Anyway, there was a line in the movie that was very, very funny, and also carried a pretty hefty message to it. Let me set up the scene for you. (Granted, I only saw part of this movie once, so I’m bound to some slight inaccuracies, but I’m not about to watch that movie again.)

There was this guy driving on his motorcycle heading out of town, attempting to flee from his problems. He was in love with Mary Catherine Gallagher, but her heart seemed to have been won by another man. As this guy cycled down the road, an image of “God” appeared on the road (played by Will Ferrell in full on robes and beard) and directed him to turn his bike around and go back to her. The man on the bike stopped and said to “God”, “But she’s in love with this other guy. Should I really go back to her? I don’t think she likes me.”

It was at this point that “God” said to him, “Are you serious? I’m frickin’ God. I appear to you in the middle of the road and tell you to go back and you’re not sure if it’s a good idea? You think that I’d lead you astray? Man, why did I create people so insecure?”

I’m sure that’s not exactly how the lines went, but you get the idea. Why are we insecure? Everyone is gifted and talented in certain ways, yet we are so unsure of ourselves and feel insecure when other people point out our weaknesses.

But do we need to feel insecure? It says in the book of Psalm 139:

For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.

You see, God created us to be exactly who he wanted us to be. There is no one else like you who’s been created for the purpose that you have been created. So it should be with great confidence that you live your life. It will not be easy, but you can toss those insecurities aside.

So live confidently. Sometimes it may even take seeing part of a ridiculous movie to help you get the point. In the end, you were created even for that.

Much luv,
Rob
_____________________________________
Song of the Day: “This World” by Caedmon’s Call

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Rob...

~moving w/ confidence into the weekend God has for me...

assisted by you

Thanks

Anonymous said...

hmm... heavy indeed. gets me thinking some serious stuff, like combining this with your last topic, perhaps we need some fights between all the actors who have played God. Morgan Freeman vs George Burns or something. good times.

F3