Friday, June 22, 2007

You're not an ordinary fella...

Oi...what a day yesterday. Was too busy to find time to write, but that's ok. You forgive me, right?

So I flipped open my little calendar to see if today's "holiday" would inspire me in some sort of way. It marked today as "Stupid Guy Thing Day."

It's as if it was watching my life last night...

The other day I spoke of Dance, Dance, Revolution (DDR). Well, last night a buddy of mine came over and brought it with him. It didn't take long to get completely wrapped up in the game, and soon there were a bunch of grown men (ok, that's arguable) competing on this game and talking trash like we were outside playing ball or something. At one point it got so competitive that one player was calling out the other one, "Dude, don't bounce when there's no arrows! That's distracting!"

It...was...AWESOME!

Ordinarilly, I'm not so competitive and I think that getting so wrapped up in a game is a little weird. Last night, however, I saw how truly hilarious it can be.

So is that a "Stupid Guy Thing?" It might be, but the clincher was deciding (after 2:00 a.m.) that we should go out for burritos, only to find that Tapatios was closed.

Ridiculous.

Yet totally fun.

Which I think perfectly sums up "Stupid Guy Thing Day."

So do something ridiculous, yet totally fun, today. You owe it to your inner stupid guy. (For those of you who aren't a stupid guy on the outside as well.)

Much luv,
Rob
_______________________________________________
Song of the Day: "Good Intentions" by Toad the Wet Sprocket

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, I think you single guys are kinda missing the point of the whole "Stupid Guy" thing. It takes on a whole different meaning when you’re married or otherwise attached to a significant other of the female persuasion. You have no idea what it means to be a “Stupid Guy” until you’ve been asked one of the Questions of Doom. “Do these jeans make me look fat?” “How does my hair look.” “She’s pretty, isn’t she?” First, there is no good answer to those questions. There are only less bad answers – answers that will make her mad for the least amount of time. These questions require some thought before answering because your first instinct is always the worst. However, if you hesitate, you’re in trouble, too. Thus, you are ‘doomed’ no matter what. That’s because you are a “Stupid Guy.”

Okay, you want an actual example? Fine. There was a girl I was dating in high school who asked me if she stimulated me intellectually. I didn’t think, nor hesitate to say, “Honey, you make my brain hard as a rock.” Needless to say, we didn’t see each other much after that. And why is that again? Because I’m a “Stupid Guy!”

Okay, here’s another conundrum for you would be stupid guys to ponder BEFORE the instance comes up. You are in a committed relationship – married, engaged, whatever. One day some really attractive girl starts chatting you up. You are a go boyfriend (husband, fiancĂ©, whatever) so you make it clear that you are off the market, kindly but firmly. She says that’s fine with her because she has a boyfriend – she’s just looking to have a little fun. Still, you insist, that you are faithful to your girlfriend (wife, fiancĂ©, whatever). Now she’s got you: “So, if you are so faithful to her, why are to chatting with me?” Then she brings in the whammy from out of nowhere: “Don’t you fancy me?” You are now in the Frack Fork. What do you say? “No, I don’t fancy you,” and you are just being mean. “Yes, I do fancy you,” and you’re a bad “whatever.” You either frack her or frack off – The Frack Fork. The only solution: Stay home and only go out of it with your girl.

So, you see, you don’t know what it is to be a “stupid guy” until you’ve really suffered. When you have issues like me, then we can talk. (Pity me)

Batroy

Rob said...

re: Batroy

The best (and funniest) advice I've ever heard for dealing with those "doomed" questions came from 101.9 radio morning show host Eric Ferguson. He has gone on record to say that the only correct way to deal with such a question is to simply pass out. When faced with one of those questions, just drop to the floor face first. You'll either be pitied or laughed at. Either way, you've managed to avoid the problem.