Thursday, June 14, 2007

Now there's a frood who knows where his towel is...

So some ancient dead dude (likely Socrates) once said, "Know thyself - and thou shall know all the mysteries of the gods and of the universe. "

Hmm, interesting. Having read The Hitchhiker's Guide, I already know that the answer to The Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything is "42."

Still, I'm rather certain that I don't completely know "myself."

But I'm still learning. For example, I learned last night that when it comes down to it, I simply find the lure of lists irresistible.

Given the opportunity to go to bed at a decent hour, I found that my extra time was commandeered by the television. You see, on Comcast Sports Channel (home of your Chicago Bulls, Blackhawks, Cubs, and Sox) was counting down the Top 50 Best Damn Unforgettable Plays in Sports. It was crazy! I found myself glued to the set awaiting amazing play after amazing play. (For the record, the Cal-Stanford/Band play was #1, beating out poor Buckner.)

And as if that weren't enough, as that show ended at midnight, a new list was just beginning over on VH1 (home of bad reality television and Behind the Music specials). They were counting down the top 40 Most Awesomely Bad Break-Up Songs. From the moment that list kicked off with "Total Eclipse of the Heart" by Bonnie Tyler, I was hooked again. For two hours I watched and listened to awful song after awful song while comedians riffed on the ridiculous lyrics. ("Toni Braxton wants me to unbreak her heart and uncry these tears...Toni, that's UNpossilbe!") The list wrapped up at 2:00 a.m. with the ultimate in Awesomely Badness, Milli Vanilli.

Did anyone realize that "Blame it On the Rain" was a break-up song?

You can blame it on the rain
Cause the rain don't mind
And the rain don't care
You gotta blame it on something

Anyway, that's beside the point, this is supposed to be about me learning about myself, right?

So what is it about a countdown that is so irresistible? I'm not certain, but for some reason I just can't ignore them. Perhaps it's a matter of trying to guess what should be on the list. Perhaps it's the fun of the inevitable discussions that follow such a list. Perhaps I just need to get out more...

Probably that last one.

Too bad there was no VH1 around for Socrates...next time that Bill and Ted kidnap him, they should bring him to 2007.

Much luv,
Rob
___________________________________________
Song of the Day: "Red Red Wine" by UB40

No comments: