Monday, May 7, 2007

Where's MJ when we need him...

I’d like to take a minute to talk about media bias. No, no, no…I’m not talking about anything political. I’m talking about the radio broadcast for the Chicago Bulls.

After youth group tonight, I quickly got out to my car to race home (observing all posted speed limits, of course). I turned on the radio and tuned in to 105.9 to hear how my beloved Bulls were faring against the top seed in the East. Neil Funk (awesome name, gotta love the Funk) and Bill Wennington (I once saw him at a Subway!) give a very spirited broadcast, but it can be a little misleading. Let me break it down how I was caught up to how the Bulls were doing…

One of the first things I heard as I tuned in was a monster block by Tyrus Thomas. The Bulls ran the other way with the ball and Thabo “Snuffleufflegus” Sefolosha got an open look in the corner. He missed the shot and it was described thusly:

“Oh, that could have been a dagger!”

The Pistons gained the rebound and were able to score at their end. The announcers announced that it was now a 15 point lead. I thought to myself, “Wow. The Bulls have a big lead. Great!”

The Bulls then got the ball back and scored again. It was said that they were on a little bit of a run and could take some momentum into game three and could be putting Detroit “on the ropes.”

Sounds like a Bulls’ lead, no? Needless to say, but I’m saying it anyway, when they finally announced the score I was very disappointed to hear that my Bulls were not doing well at all.

It seems that they were more than just a little bit biased in how they were reporting what was going on in the game. Their enthusiasm and excitement for their home team made what they were saying very misleading.

So what’s the point? I suppose there’s the obvious issue of being sure of your words and not let your emotions be more prevalent than the fact, but where’s the fun in that? As for me, I’ll take the blatant hyperbole everytime. Anyone can give the facts, but give me someone who can make even a Bulls big-time collapse sound fun.

That kind of hyperbole is better than a thousand Renaissances combined with a ninja-pirate raid on Hollywood.

With bumper cars.

Much luv,
Rob
____________________________________________________
Song of the Day: “Harlem’s Nocturne” by Alicia Keys

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

honestly, i think your option is better than the historical reference. it sounds rather made up. are we to believe people from generations ago could only tell the different between a pig in a bag and a cat in a bag once it was opened? and these people evolved to eventually invent the roomba AND cars able to output more than 1000 horsepower. i think not.

F3

Anonymous said...

what the... i posted this comment on the article about cats in bags. i didn't even read this article today. either this comment thing is broken or i am just showing that my previous comment is null and void. doh.

F3