Thursday, May 3, 2007

Kilroy was here...

So as I was working the other day, a song came on my dPod, as it typically does. I continued working and rocking out just a bit as I really listened to the words of this song for, perhaps, the first time. The song? "Mr. Roboto" by Styx.

Ok…the part that caught my ear was when he sang, “Thank you very much, Mr. Roboto, for doing the jobs that nobody wants to.” I asked myself…

Is this a song written to robots that do menial tasks?

So today I looked into it. Here’s what I found:

“The song tells part of the fictitious story of Robert Orin Charles Kilroy (ROCK), in the rock opera Kilroy Was Here. The song is sung by Kilroy (as played by keyboardist Dennis DeYoung), a rock and roll performer who was placed in a futuristic prison for "rock and roll misfits" by the anti-rock-and-roll group the Majority for Musical Morality (MMM) and its founder Dr. Everett Righteous (played by guitarist James Young). He escapes the prison by overtaking a Roboto prison guard and hiding inside the emptied-out metal shell. The Roboto is a model robot which does menial jobs in the prison. The song may be understood as Kilroy's dedication to the robot that, through being sacrificed in such a way, allowed Kilroy to escape the prison.”

As Hurley would say, “Uh, dude?”

So once again, here’s to imagination! Even when it’s just weird…

No, especially when it’s just weird.

Much luv,
Rob
____________________________________
Song of the Day: “Remedy” by Black Crowes

No comments: