Tuesday, April 17, 2007

What a nice fellow...

It’s official…I miss my Mustang. These last two days have been rather beautiful outside and it has led me to miss cruising around with the top down of that ol’ 1990 Mustang 5.0 LX convertible with some good tunage blasting out of the tiny subs in the trunk.

Ah, good times…it never really even mattered where I was going in that car. Just driving it was a pleasure. Still, I don’t really miss the gallon of gasoline that it consumed every eight miles while driving. While it was a fun car to drive, it certainly was not efficient and would be costing me a small fortune with the current gas prices.

Does it seem like the world is getting ruder? Most of the time it really does feel that way. I was even having a discussion last night about the youth of this country and how they’re getting bolder and are willing to mouth off to just about anyone. It seems like it wasn’t an issue as much in the past. Kids who mouthed off got smacked around and learned to keep their traps shut.

Anyway, today a story came to my attention that suggests a little bit of the opposite and it’s good for a laugh. Check out the manners on this burglar:

ALTAMONTE SPRINGS, Florida (AP) -- A gunman robbing a convenience store allowed the clerk to call 911 and apologized after the woman said she might be having a heart attack. But he still took $30 and cigarettes, authorities said.

The masked man entered the Kangaroo Express store early Saturday in this Orlando suburb and pointed what appeared to be a semiautomatic handgun at 60-year-old clerk Mary Parker, according to surveillance audio/video released Thursday. He demanded access to the safe, but she said she didn't have the keys.

He told her to empty the cash register into a bag. He then pulled up a stool for her to sit down and told her he was doing this because no one would hire him and he had bills to pay.

She started hyperventilating and pleaded with the gunman for help.

"I have heart trouble. Help me," Parker said.

"I'm sorry, ma'am," the gunman replied.

"I have heart trouble," Parker told him.

"Ma'am, it's going to be all right," the gunman said.

"I'm probably going to have a heart attack," Parker said.

"Oh my, ma'am, please do not have a heart attack. Please do not have a heart attack. Please don't, ma'am," he said.

The gunman let Parker call 911, and when the store phone didn't work, he let her get her cell phone. She told the operator she was having a heart attack, but didn't mention the robber. She then sat back down on the stool.

A customer came in and, without seeing the gunman, tried to calm Parker. She handed him the phone, and he spoke to the 911 operator.

The gunman then reappeared and told the man to get into the beverage cooler.

He then grabbed his loot and apologized again.

"You have a good day. I'm sorry this had to happen. I'm sorry. God!" he moaned. He then went out the door.

Police said Parker is OK.

Sounds like progress to me, or at least a step towards progress.

Enjoy that sun! (Thanks for bringing it back, Frank!)

Much luv,
Rob
____________________________________________________
Song of the Day: “Good Vibrations” by Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i brought back the sun? wow... so... are you playing around in said sun too much to write a lil note now and again?

Rob said...

Re: anonymous (F3)

I wish...just been super busy and haven't felt the desire to write for a while...I'm sure it'll return soon enough. If not, well, then it won't.