Wednesday, April 4, 2007

And, of course, Hugh Jackman...

National Hate Week…why does such a period of time exist? Is it a time to vent? Are we really supposed to express hate during this week? I mean, just look at the word:

Hate (v.) to dislike intensely or passionately; feel extreme aversion for or extreme hostility toward; detest.

So as I did a little digging into “Hate Week,” I discovered it’s not real at all. It’s from George Orwell’s novel 1984. The general effect behind Hate Week was to rally the people in a way so that they “would unquestionably have torn [captured enemy soldiers] to pieces” if given the opportunity.

Yowsa. Sounds like a ”fun” read.

Anyway, seeing that April 4th-10th is Hate Week on the calendar, I thought I’d spend a little time sharing something that has been the subject of my hate lately:

Bad advertising.

Every time that I see a bad commercial I begin to question whether or not I should have studied advertising and be producing commercials. The idea that someone, actually many people, get paid to come up with, direct, and produce these ads is absurd.

I hate to pick on you, Burger King, but I’m afraid you’ve been slipping lately. While I loved the bizarre commercials featuring that dude in the giant King costume, your newest ad turns my heart more sour than a lemonhead dunked in liquid sorrow. If you don’t know the commercial I am referring to, it’s a recent ad in which a man is taking a bath and says to his wife, “Hey, guess who I am…Spongebob No Pants,” as he stands up from his sudsy bath and is covered in bubbles.

He then just gives her this look as if to say, “Gee…look how clever I am.

Bad, Burger King, bad! (Whaps BK on the nose with the rolled up newspaper of good taste.)

This commercial just rubs me the wrong way, but I suppose that they say bad publicity is still better than no publicity. Maybe I just don’t get it…

Man, if Orwell only ever really knew what evils the future would hold…

Much luv,
Rob
_________________________________________
Song of the Day: “In the Ghetto” by Elvis Presley

No comments: