Thursday, October 30, 2008

I hear it's good in a Frappuchino, too...

So...politics?

BOO!

Halloween?

BOO! (Seriously, I wouldn't mind National Costume Day. I really wouldn't, but all of the "death" and "horror" associated with Halloween just gives me the heebie-geebies...and not in the good way.)

Caramel?

YAY!!!

I recently discovered that caramel is the correct spelling for the word that I've been pronouncing "carmel" for ages.

According to dictionary.com:

Car-mel (noun)
1. Mount, a mountain range in NW Israel, near the Mediterranean coast. Highest point, 1818 ft. (554 m). 14 mi. (23 km) long.
2. a town in central Indiana. 18,272.
3. Also called Carmel-by-the-Sea. a town in W California, on the Pacific Ocean: artists' colony and resort.
4. a female given name: from a Hebrew word meaning “garden.”

Car-a-mel (noun)
1. a liquid made by cooking sugar until it changes color, used for coloring and flavoring food.
2. a kind of chewy candy, commonly in small blocks, made from sugar, butter, milk, etc.
3. a yellowish brown or tan color.

As a fan of both caramel and words, I thought it important to point out the significant distinction between the two:

One is a deliciously sweet morsel that sends a taster into a euphoric bliss.

The other is bunch of dirt and rocks piled on top of each other.

See the drastic difference? You wouldn't want to eat the wrong one. Blech! And you wouldn't want to climb on the other, you'd likely get stuck. May you never confuse the two again.

My name is Rob Mayer, and I approve this message. (See how I tied it back in to politics? Eh? EH??? Well, I amused myself, anyway.)

Much luv,
Rob
________________________________________________
Song of the Day: "Comfortably Numb" by Pink Floyd

No comments: