Monday, June 23, 2008

Toot, toot...

Whoo-weee! The creative juices are flowing tonight!

Ever just feel like your brain is racing a thousand miles an hour and your pancreas just can't keep up that kind of pace? Me neither, but I do feel excited at some of today's events. I even managed to pull myself away from a movie because I felt the urge to write a bit. (The Bucket List, for those who are curious.)

For those who do not know, I like to pretend that I can play the bass guitar. I am still pretty-much a beginner at the instrument, but I'm getting better. I play with the worship band at my church and have picked up some tips here or there. I suppose that I might someday even take a lesson.

I'm getting side-tracked, though...back to my point.

Tonight, I had an opportunity to get creative musically. A friend of mine wrote song and was playing it on his beautiful sounding twelve-string. As I was listening, I was singing along with the words on the page, trying to hear some harmonies in my head and think of a suitable bass line to accompany it. When he was done playing, he said, "You need to come up with a bass line for it, and we'll be good to go."

I hesistated not a second. I said, "Let's do it." I grabbed up a bass and we began to play. I didn't really know what I was doing, but I pulled out a few tricks from "Bass Guitar 101" and it worked! Not to toot my own horn, but I thought it sounded pretty good. It was all so very exciting.

When you hear "Let Us Not Forget" on the radio someday...that's Gary's song and I helped a bit.

I may not have done much, but it was more then I thought I was capable of doing. I guess you just never know until you try.

So give something a shot. You might suprise yourself.

In other news, 45 days until the Bears pre-season begins! I'll try to keep my naive, relentless, Bears-related optimism under control this year, but I can't make any promises. Let's just agree that they'll go undefeated and Mike Ditka will, in a suprise move, win the presidential election in a landslide.

Much luv,
Rob
_________________________________________________
Song of the Day: "Diverse City" by TobyMac

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You pulled yourself from a solid flick.

I would like to hear you bepop your baseline sometime. Or listen to you & Gary get your funky groove on.

45 Days until the Bears get punished, NICE!

Rob said...

re: anonymous

I believe you mispelled something in your last post, anonymous (if that is your real name).

"Punished" is spelled "vindication"...not the way you spelled it.

Anonymous said...

wait. 45 days till the bears get punished? okay...while I will side with rob on this and take the crazy optimism any day... at least i could understand that comment about some teams.... but KC? KC? i think the punishment is going to be solidly flowing north to south on that one.

~F3

Anonymous said...

Si, senor! You are one very creative dude yet to truly experience himself raw in the creative universe. I'm watching to see if you take your advice to take even more risks...but...we'll see :-)

H2