Monday, July 28, 2008

Well, it's no cowbell, but...

Boy, it's been a while since I've written anything. Where to begin? I could comment on the new Batman movie (very good, but not the mind-blowing experience it was hyped to be...but the "magic pencil trick" was amazing). I could comment on the political scene. (Actually, I don't think I'm even capable.) I could comment on everyone's favorite topic...outrageous gas prices. (I think it's become the go-to topic when running out of things to say, edging out even the weather.)

None of that's really my style, though. (Well, maybe the Batman...but that's not where I'm going.) I'd rather comment on something smaller. Sometimes, it's the little things in life that somehow make getting through the day-to-day bearable. Not the "big" things that relate on a more grand scale, you know?

Then again, Gavin Rossdale sang that it's the "little things that kill," so maybe I don't know about what I am talking. (or maybe he doesn't)

That's beside the point, though. Today something little happened. Sure, there were some bigger things, such as jamming to Muse on Rock Band with the Laskey boys (they're so good at that game...), playing football with the junior highers, and Max Weinberg returning to The Late Show with Conan O'Brien, but those aren't what still has me grinning like a fool this evening.

This morning, while at work, I was listening to the Eric & Kathy show on 101.9, "The Mix." I often listen to their show for some good info, many laughs, and the amazing "Friday Song."

This morning they gave a report on something that had to do with lasers, and started playing a silly laser sound effect over all sorts of things, thereby making them, as we say in the shipping business, "better." It was cracking me up, especially when they played it during that new Coldplay tune that, I am rather certain, is playing on a radio station right now. (It's EVERYWHERE, but don't get me wrong...I kinda dig it.)

So anyway, time moved on, as it often does, and they, too, moved on from the amazing laser sounds to other less interesting non-laser-involving stories. I kept plugging away at my job, and decided that I needed something to give me a little lift...something to lift my spirits on a tired monday morning.

I knew what I needed...and I knew where I might be able to get it. I quickly hopped on the computer and sent an email to Eric, of the aforementioned Eric & Kathy Show. It was short. It was simple. It said the following:

Subject: MORE LASERS!!!

That's all...I just want more lasers, please.

And if possible, more cowbell.

Much luv,
Rob


What I got blew me away...approximately two minutes later, upon returning from a commercial break, I was stunned to hear Eric reading my email on the air, including my trademark "Much luv, Rob." (I don't know how that started, but that's how I've signed off just about every email I've ever written.)

Anyway...

Eric proceeded to apologize for not having cowbell, but then unleashed a bevy of hilarious sound effects, including more lasers, cows mooing, zippers zipping, etc.

I couldn't help but smile. Maybe you heard it on the radio, too. I hope it made you smile as well.

And if not, perhaps this laser-related video will make you smile. If nothing else, it's got a good song in it...

Much luv,
Rob
_______________________________________
Song of the Day: "Breath Into Me" by Red

No comments: