Monday, September 10, 2007

Not the Tyrannosaurus sort...

Ok, it has been a long, long time since I've found the energy and desire to write. Sometimes, though, you just have to stand up and defend something for which you feel strongly.

It was a football game oh-so-long ago that got me riled up to write, and so it is only fitting that football would end my six-week drought.

Rex.

Three little letters have caused a city to fight amongst itself. Sports columnists in the city are calling for Rex's head, and everyone seems to hate this guy. I, frankly, am tired of all the Rex-hate. Our beloved Bears have an amazing defense and a lot of talent on offense. It's a shame that poor Rex is drawing all of the attention. I can't imagine the pressure he's got to be under. Thankfully, the Tank Johnson and Devin Hester off-season circus drew some of the attention away from Rex, but until flashy #23 does something out there, I think that all of the angry, judging eyes will continue to be on Rex.

How about a little support for our QB? I mean, do we have a better option? Is Brian Griese supposed to be some sort of savior? Can Kyle Orton bring back the neck-beard and lead this team?

The answer is clearly "no." Rex is capable of making big plays. Remember last season after the first six weeks? There was talk of Rex being an MVP candidate. Sure, I know that he's no MVP, but he's clearly our best option and can make the big plays.

Up against a tough Charagers team, he struggled a bit, but he really didn't have a bad game. If not for a bad bounce on a muffed punt, I think that the Bears could have won that game. Against the Chargers, no less. One of the best teams in the league. Let's see how things go this week against K.C.

So even if no one else is saying it (other than Lovie "Rex is our guy" Smith), Rex has my support. I hope that he can find that guy from the first half of last season and quiet the many, many critics. Go get 'em, Rex!

Besides...it could be worse. We could have this guy throwing for us:

(remember that dodgeball footage I spoke of oh-so-long ago? Yeah, that's it. Sorry, Kevin.)

Much luv,
Rob
___________________________________
Song of the Day: "Dead" by My Chemical Romance

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hmmmm... so the "dead" song of the day wasn't in any connection to the article topic i trust...

I definately agree overall that like many other media-created scapegoats, Rex is not nearly as bad as the hoard would have you believe. Chicago has always had this problem and i imagine our top defender's jersey will always outsell any receiver or qb we get. That being said, this is the same guy that is capable of having a zero rating. that has got to go. Lovie needs to balance the "rex is out guy" with "if you are having one of your off games I should at least TRY out griese. I mean, if you are gonig to pay the guy 10 times more to sit on the bench, why not pass him off to another team.